Sunday, October 12, 2014

(Artist Profile) The GREAT Mr. Winslow


Winslow Homer was born in Boston, Massachusetts in 1836.

When Winslow turned 19 he started his career as an illustrator at the J.H. Bufford lithographic firm. It was there he decided to become a freelance illustrator. After receiving a job in 1859 at Harpers Weekly, he moved to New York. It was there he served as an artist-correspondent for the magazine during the Civil War.

From there he began taking some classes at the National Academy of Design focusing on oil painting. For that he gained international recognition as a painter and his career took flight.
A few paintings:

1 comment:

  1. My grandpa had a print of a Winslow Homer painting of a ship on stormy waters hanging in his house when I was growing up...I always think of him when I see this painter's name or work. I like the muted colors he uses.

    ReplyDelete